May 15, 2011

Eurovision 2011

I was watching the 2nd semi-final with mah peeps yesterday. 'Twas much more hilarious watching with them :3 That said, I haven't seen the final yet (I wanted to wake up early but forgot to set my alarm. Whoops~) and it doesn't air in Aus until 7:30 tonight. So I suppose now is a good time to recap over my favourites from this year and my picks to win. And post a song lyric or two that I like ♪

Everyone keeps reporting on the winner so I already know about that, but I'm going to pretend I don't. Alright. ~REVIEW TIME~

First Semi-Finals

Switzerland
This year Anna Rossinelli represents Switzerland with the song In Love for Awhile.
It is the cutest song and it very catchy. I love Anna's voice, and she's very cute ^^ This song kinda maybe makes me want to stand in a field and start spinning in circles.
I love everything about you. Oh, I couldn't do without you. Whenever you're near me, all my days are on the bright side~
The instruments used are epic and fit the song well. I simply adore it. I love ukulele so it gets points for that, too ;)

Iceland
Iceland is represented by Sjonni's Friends who sing Coming Home. I love the trumpets :3 The entire song is kinda Michael Buble-ish, actually. Not that that's a bad thing. I rather like it. The performers all wear vests as well which makes them infinitely more attractive =P
I can't wait for tomorrow, to say the things I want to say, your smile will always lead my way~

Finland
Paradise Oskar is absolutely adorable. His song Da Da Dum (inventive name, amirite?) is very nature-based. Paradise seems to be a bit of an environmentalist. It's nice to hear a song not based on love though. The song tells the story of a boy called Peter who goes out to save the planet alone because no one else will listen to him and help out. Poor Peter~
Peter is smart, he knows each European country by heart. He likes to sit under an apple tree on his yard, and wait for an apple to fall~

Azerbaijan
Heh, what's a favourites list without some corny love ballad? I remember when I first heard Running Scared, I thought "They're going to do well. I kinda hope they don't but, it's the type of song that's likely to win". I do like it though. The couple singing it are called Ell and Niki... I'm not sure which one is the guy, because I thought those were both girls names... Anyway, the guy's face weirds me out. I feel bad saying that.
Oh what I wouldn't give away, to be your shelter and keep you safe...

Turkey
Um, yeah, it's Turkey. 'Nuff said. Turkey is always awesome. Y
üksek Sadakat sings Live it Up this year. His vocals are heaps cool. The guitar is epic. During the performance they had a contortionist in a cage (comments about the only woman on stage being caged up aside, it was quite cool). She grew wings at the end of it. The entirety of the song makes me want to headbang. It's epic. It's about life being beautiful and that you should relax. And it's set to totally epic rock 'n' roll. I shouldn't let a song affect me so much, but my opinion of this country just skyrocketed. Oh, you're from Turkey? Excuse my while I take my clothes off.
So let your colours shine right next to mine. Hey~ it's time to live it up. My friend, put the record on. Sing it loud and let it out, life is beautiful

Second Semi-Final
This one was surprisingly difficult to organise. I liked most of the songs in this section.

Denmark
This is my favourite to win. I adore this song. The lead singer of A Friend in London has a really cool voice. His vocals are kinda maybe epic. And his hair is cool. Kinda similar to Jedward's except less gay-looking (I don't mean gay as in 'bad', I mean gay as in 'looks like they want to sleep with their own gender' btw). I'm kinda maybe in love with them. The song New Tomorrow is, as you can tell from the title, about change and how we aren't living to our full potential etc etc. It's actually quite complimentary as well, though. Thank you whoever-wrote-the-lyrics, I am a diamond and/or pearl, aren't I? This song makes me so happy :3 It's got everything you need for a catchy pop song. A cute intro, cool verses, an epic easy-to-sing chorus, a sing-along bridge, a bit of the lead-singer showing off, a fade-out outro and a dash of abso-freaking-lutely awesome. Yeah bitches.
I can't really pinpoint the exact reason as to why I love this song so much. I just do. I'm in love with the lead singer (
Tim Schou, if you wanted to know) and I'm in love with his voice. According to his Facebook page, he knows English, German and Danish. Gotta love being multi-lingual. :3
Here, have two excerpts from the song lyrics. Two excerpts of awesome~
Did we forget how to live, to dream, and what it all means? It's like we don't care.
Come on girls, come on boys. It's your future, it's your choice. And your weapon is your voice. Let's make a new tomorrow, today. ♥

Belgium
I've had this song on repeat like all day. No instruments. All human voices. Witloof bay has three guys (one of which is a champion beatboxer) and two chicks, all of which have epic vocals. The song With Love is, believe it or not, about love. Actually, the main message I got out of it is that love is one of the most powerful driving forces we have, and if you're going to do something, you need to put your all into it. Especially all of your love. It's got jazz influences and it kinda makes you want to dance. Every single member sings with emotion and you can hear it so clearly. They all have some pretty epic vocal ranges as well. It's refreshing to hear such epic talent.
In my mind, in my body, in my soul, I'm doing everything and I'm doing it all with love~

Bulgaria
I can't type in, uhm, Bulgarian (I assume it's Bulgarian?) as my keyboard doesn't really support those characters. So we'll just go with this. Poli Genova sings a song called Na Inat and I swear I've heard it somewhere before. Deja vu much. She's damn hot guys, btw, and if I wasn't totes straight I'd tap that. Just sayin'. I think the title means 'no matter what'. I'm reading a dodgy looking translation though so who knows. The song is very epic and powerful. Even without looking at a translation you can kinda tell she's singing about defiance and emotional strength.
I adore the song, really, but I have to admit that I keep giggling at the lyrics my brain tries to make up instead of taking the song seriously. I thought she was singing 'standing on a sea of men' for ages. Oh dear.
I'd post my favourite lyrics, but... yeah that could be difficult :3

F.Y.R. Macedonia
Vlatko Ilievski does this song, which is either called Русинка or Rusinka depending on how good you are at reading... wait, what language do they speak in Macedonia?
Er, anyway. There's a bit of English at the beginning. Something about inviting skin and snow. Sounds kinda sensual. The rest of the song is... er, I don't know :3 The best part is just under 2 minutes into the song, when a piano accordion (?) comes in. It's weird how much I adore that instrument. I really want to sing along with this, but I can't. I should learn how to. <3 I love this guys voice. I love this song. A lot.


Romania
I enjoy playing this as a response to Denmark's song. You know, 'change the world' vs 'I can't change the world alone'. It sounds like an argument. A happy sounding argument. ^^
Hotel FM sing Change. It's kinda like a 'We can change the world but you guys have gotta group together with me to do it' and I kinda like the lyrics better than any of the other entries this year.
I haven't much to say. I just like this one. Moving on.
I need you all everybody, start dreaming of it, take a step that's gonna make a difference and change the world~

Ukraine
Mika Newton sounds a lot like Deltra Goodrem. Her song Angel has quite a bit of failed English, but that's more endearing than anything. Also, she is so, so cute. Like, adorable. It should be a crime to look as good as her.
There was a sand artist on stage with her, so you know it's cool.
Baby I love you, and you..?

Estonia
This song is kinda maybe epic. Getter Jaani is epic on stage and her dress was adorable. her song reminds me of Panic! and... oddly enough, the musical Chicago. I have no idea why. The lyrics of Rockefeller Street are kinda trippy and detail a really, really cool and Tim Burton-ish world, if you ask me. Tim Burton mixed with... burlesque and carnivalish stuff? Yeah. I don't know what I'm talking about. Is that obvious? I'm too lazy to keep writing so just go listen to the song. It's worth it :3
1273, down the Rockefeller Street. Life is marching on, do you feel that? 1273, down the Rockefeller Street, everything is more than surreal.

I can't really comment on the final yet, but I shall once I watch it. I'm looking forward to it. So far I really like Spain and Germany's songs, though France is doing pretty epicly too. ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment