Mar 20, 2011

My Top Five Fashion Styles (Warning: Image heavy post.)

I'm not big on fashion. In fact, I do believe I'm the worst person to go to if you're after fashion advice. Generally, I wear extremely casual clothing regardless of where I'm going.
However, if I
did have some cash, these are the styles I'd totally invest in. I'd get some weird looks, but that's fine. People look at me oddly anyway =)
Countdown time!

5. Brechtian Punk Cabaret (ie: some sort of fusion between punk, dark cabaret, vaudeville and something I'm not able to put my finger on)
No, I'm not necessarily talking scantily clad,
Chicago styled cabaret (though corsets are very attractive). I do love top hats, long gloves, over-the-top black lace and stockings, though. I tend to prefer the male attire more than anything. I love my tailcoats.
It's kinda hard to describe the style I'd wear. Think
The Dresden Dolls or the outfits Panic! At The Disco wore during the live concerts from their first album.
Actually, just think
The Dresden Dolls. Amanda Palmer is the one who coined the term 'Brechtian punk cabaret' which sounds a lot cooler than any name I could think of.

4. There was something for place 4, but I forgot. I think it was something to do with boots and belts and industrial-ish based clothing, but I cannot think of what it was now. Oh well.

3. Lolita

Not to be confused with the book which is about some paedophillic relationship.
Lolita fashion originates from Japan and is mostly based off of clothing from the Victorian era. 'The Lolita look consists primarily of a knee length skirt or dress, headdress, blouse, petticoat, knee high socks or stockings and rocking horse or high heel/platform shoes, though other kinds of shoes are also incorporated' (totes stole that from Wikipedia). There are subgroups of Lolita.
Sweet Lolita, which is more childlike and is often in pastel colours (like in the image on the right). Strangely enough, you'll also find a lot of food items printed on the skirts, like cakes and fruits. Then there's Punk Lolita, which is (obviously) a mix of Lolita and punk. You'll get a lot of plaids, ties, chains and crazy (read: awesome) hairstyles. Classic Lolita is supposed to be in the middle of the sweet and gothic styles, and is usually more sophisticated. Or something. I don't know, it sounds boring to me.
Gothic Lolita is Lolita clothing that (gasp) is also mixed with some gothic styles. Dark colours, defined eyes and religious symbols are commonly used. It seems to be influenced by some Visual Kei styles, which is pretty epic. If you have time, click here to view this DeviantArt page. There are some amazing photos there

2. Steampunk
I love me some steampunk. This also links back to the Victorian era somewhat. From when, you know, steam power was prevalent. In both steampunk art and fashion, you'll find gears being used a lot. For those of you who love your musicals, think of the Wicked set. It screamed of steampunk. I suck at describing. It's just... lots of metal, leather, gears, and goggles, for some reason. Goggles are a strangely important part of this, even if you can't possibly see out of them due to the lenses being covered by the various gears used.
Ah, the video for The Ballad of Mona Lisa by Panic! At The Disco fits into this style quite well.



1. Visual Kei
(Uhm, this image is more punk than anything, but... she's hot. So like... whatever.)
So, this is my favourite clothing style. Kei translates to 'style', so it's literally called 'visual style'. This one also comes from Japan and is mostly associated with J-Rock. Basically, it's like scene, but much better. Elaborate everything. Elaborate hair styles, elaborate clothing, elaborate make up, just... over-the-top. Primarily black with fluro highlights and with lots of seemingly random influences. You'll get elements of punk and goth especially. Oh, and it's often not symmetrical. At all.
The people wearing visual kei tend to be rather... erm, androgynous. It's not unusual to see someone in said attire and be rather confused about their gender... there's nothing wrong with that, though.

Here, have a video of my favourite visual kei rock band. It's not their best song, but this video should give you an idea of what visual kei looks like. Sort of.

2 comments:

  1. Steampunk and lolita! Booyah.

    ...probs not together tho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, if you put steampunk and lolita together and added some random colours, you could probs call it a variation of visual kei. xD

    ReplyDelete