Jun 8, 2011

Post-E3 2011 Nintendo Thoughts.

Nintendo's E3 conference started with a Legend of Zelda montage featuring old Zelda titles plus the newest game, Skyward Sword, as well as footage from Ocarina of Time 3D. The entire sequence was set to a live orchestra which, of course, also played a collection of old themes and the newest.

Well, Nintendo sure knows how to put on a show. Not that I expected any less from them.

It's the 25th anniversary of Zelda. Before the show started, we were promised some epic Zelda surprises. In my opinion, those surprises never came. Game-wise, at least. We got some titles being rereleased online for the 3DS, and we had some new footage of Skyward Sword. Otherwise, I didn't see much to rave about. I do have one thing to be thankful for, though; Despite the cartoonish colouring, Skyward Sword does look like Twilight Princess. I'm very thankful for that.

For the people like me who go beyond gaming when they get into a series, they did announce that there will be a Zelda Orchestra. You can go hear Zelda themes all around the world played by a live orchestra.

I will pay a huge amount of cash to see that. <3
There are also two CD's. The Zelda Symphony Orchestra will have an album made, and the OoT OST is being rereleased (I think it's just a rerelease?).

Proof that music is an important part of gaming. Screw you hardcore gamers who are all "yay graphics, yay gray-scale 'realistic' games" and ignore everything else. If enjoying proper games that tell stories and focus on more than just gameplay makes me a casual gamer, then I guess I'm a casual gamer.

I adore Shigeru Miyamoto. He is so over the top in everything he does. Iwata, on the other hand, is more well spoken and has great stage presence.
His accent is cute too. That always helps.

Anyway, that's not the games. And the games are what we're here for, yeah? Anyway, the things that stood out to me were:

- New Mario on 3DS
- OoT 3D has better framerate~
- Luigi's Mansion 2!!!!!! With multiple mansions?!?!?! <3
- Gold Zelda Wii Remote. I lol'd. And I kind of want it.
- EA is all "Yay new console". 'Bout time they joined the Nintendo party bus.
- SMASH BROTHERS. ON 3DS. YES.
- Classic game downloads. Hello Gameboy, I missed you~

The new console, the Wii U (I hate the name. I hate it a lot) has a controller that looks like a DS/PSP hybrid. Really. But it's a controller. I can't describe it very well. Basically, it's got a HD screen as well as controls, and you can use that screen simultaneously with the television. You can also use the controller on its own. I have two opinions of this.

-The controller is too clunky, I can't see this working, this is another 'Wii' gimick.
-That extra screen looks really cool and if it's used well, this could make gaming really epic.

I don't know which opinion I subscribe to yet.
It's supposed to pander to both hardcore and casual gamers. If they do this correctly, Nintendo will take the market easily. Thing is, I doubt 'hardcore' gamers are going to give the controller a look-in =_=. It's compatible with the Wii controllers, so less cash spending here.
The controller has a gyroscope as well as normal buttons and touchscreen. Basically, Nintendo are now fusing handhelds and home gaming together.
The graphics seem to be better than the Wii, from what I've noticed. I haven't seen enough to compare it to other systems, but whatever. It looks damn good. Other gamers have no reason to complain about the graphics now. Suck my balls xBox and PS3, Nintendo still wins out. Even so, why are we all that keen on graphics? If I wanted realistic, I'd look out my window.

Nintendo is really being backed by developers yet again. ♥

Overall? For Nintendo, great presentation, great entertainment. Not so good on the gaming releases, but I'm still happy. Did they come out on top of Sony? Hm. I think so, but I am rather biased =3

Also: LOL MICROSOFT. Just sayin'

Game list:

~3DS~
- Mario Kart 3D
- Starfox 64 3D
- Super Mario 3D
- Kid Icarus: Uprising (features multiplayer, apparently)
- Luigi's Mansion 2
- Super Smash Brothers
- Resident Evil
- Ace Combat 3D
- Tetris
- Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games. Again.
- CAVE STORY (yes that deserves caps lock)
- Resident Evil Revelations
- Driver Renegade
- Pac-Man
- Tekken 3D
- Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D
- Excite Bike (and other 3D classics via download)

~Wii U~
- A whole bunch of sports and wii fit type games. Moving on.
- Super Smash Brothers
- A hide and seek game with Mii's... well, now that Osama's gone, I guess we do need something new for hide and seek, Y/Y?
- Lego City Stories
- Darksiders II
- Assassin's Creed
- Batman
- Ghost Recon Online
- Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
- Dirt Codemasters
- Aliens Colonial Marines
- Metro Last Light
- Tekken

No comments:

Post a Comment