Jun 3, 2011

Cracked.com Epicness

So instead of doing my assignment this morning I ended up reading Cracked.com. Out of pure boredom (and some spite directed at my Extension English teacher. I refuse to do my assignment mmkay) I will now share my findings. And maybe my opinions on these findings ‘cause I am a lonely bitch and need to share this with someone :3

Let's start with my favourite two entries from this article.

Involuntary Expression Disorder is exactly what it sounds like when you pull an expression that is not directly linked to what you’re really feeling. Sort of like when you get yelled at by someone and yet you have this inexplicable urge to grin, despite the fact that you are not happy with the situation at all, or “becoming depressed when you hear good news, or laughing at a tense or unpleasant place, such as when someone tries to start an argument with you.”

Alexithymia is where you can’t quite understand, interpret or convey ones emotions. Sort of like when a chick is all “my boyfriend won’t open up to me =(“ except this is an actual serious problem and the guy physically can’t do anything about it. Also, those with alexithymia often have sucky imaginations. Apparently everyone has some form of it; the issues, of course, start up when you end up with a worse case.

But hey, it’s all good. Because one of the proposed methods of helping to counter this is hugging. Seriously. That’s the treatment. Well, not quite. As is said on Cracked, “in relationships where the couple shared affectionate communication, such as hugging, touching or even taking certain positive postures during communication, there was a significant positive impact on the condition. The more hugging the couples did, the less of an impact the condition had on them”.

So, you know, next time I want to cuddle someone, I’m not being weird. I’m just making sure they are somewhat protected from this disease-thing.

Moving on. In this article it states that the words used only make up 7% of the meaning we take from a conversation. The other 93% of the meaning come from nonverbal cues. We also have this emotional osmosis effect. We're able to understand and absorb the mood of whoever is speaking to us, which allows us to understand the point being made.

So you know, online conversation? Not so good. In fact, we end up just projecting our own moods onto what we read, which often leads to misinterpretation.

Apparently, in most cases, more than 40% of an email will be misunderstood.

This article is very interesting (and made me feel a lot better about myself). A bunch of total dudes in Canada (and maybe some Dudettes. I haven't really checked) basically watched a bunch of people for 12 years until a bunch of them died.

Lovely.

Anyway. "Not surprisingly, the super obese subjects died first, proving once and for all that all the video games where you gain more health as you eat more are not scientifically accurate. However, people at what was considered a healthy weight tended to die second, leaving the not-exactly-svelte to laugh as they slurped a milkshake".

Wait what.

So there's a bunch of stuff on stress tolerance. You know, having some fat means you can rely on it when going through stressful times or sickness. That's not interesting though. The interesting part is where it says "one of the reasons for fat's unexpected healing powers is that dangerous acids tend to build up in fatty tissue, instead of loitering inside your liver or heart."

I never thought about that.

Also from that article; sleeping in is good for you and the internet can (and is) making us smarter.

Go read those articles. They are epic.

Note: I haven't re-read this out of laziness. Apologies for any mistakes.

Double Note: I'm transferring files. It's been stuck at '60 seconds remaining' for the last hour. Why do you taunt me so?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment