Jul 5, 2011

Family Dramaz

So Dad went off at Mum. Properly. Finally. I don't know what's going on. I went walking with Dad this arvo (as I usually do) and got the lowdown on what's happening.

We recently went on a cruise (obv.) and Granddad (Dad's family) asked how it went. Mum went on and on. A lot. And eventually said "You could never be bored!". Apparently Dad made a strange facial expression at this, which Granddad pointed out, and Mum became irreversibly angry. Over a facial expression. Yesterday morning she yelled at Dad about never enjoying anything. The rest of the conversation is as follows. Sort of. It's paraphrased. And colour-coded for your convenience.

Dad: I don't enjoy anything because I can't. I'm always walking on eggshells with you. I can't do anything. I can't say anything. Everything I do or say gets turned against me.
Mum: I don't understand what I've done wrong. So what, you're miserable here?
Dad: Yes. I am.
Mum: So why do you stick around? Is it for me, or the kids?
Dad: It's for the kids.
Mum: Then you can fuck off and get out of my house.
Dad: Gladly.

Pretty sure it was more angry than that, but I'm in a mellow mood, as was Dad when he explained it to me, so it's probably changed a bit. Also, Dad said "it's for the kids, so you can take that to the bank" but in the words of my Dad, "I'm not really sure what that's supposed to mean. I mean, you can go to the bank and say 'hey, my husband's only at home for the children', but I don't think they'd say much other than 'lady, can you please leave'. I said it a few times but didn't really think about what it meant. Oh well, it was said in a fit of anger".

Anyway, that afternoon:

Mum: Do you love me?
Dad: ...you don't make yourself very lovable.
Mum: What's that supposed to mean?
Dad: You're quick to judge, you're offensive, you don't care about the feelings of others and you are easy to anger.
Mum: Offensive?
Dad: Put it this way. If I said 'I think your Dad drinks to much', which is a very, very mild example, you'd be offended, right?
Mum: I guess.
Dad: I wouldn't think it, and I would never say it. But you do think these things, and you do say them. About my family, about those around me, and about the friends of your kids. Do you even think about how that makes us feel?
Mum: I'm not the only person who gets angry in the world.
Dad: No, there are others. But I wouldn't live with them, either.

Thanks for sticking up for my friends, Dad ^_^
Anyway, then Mum came in yesterday with this.

Mum: Your father doesn't care about me and is only here for you. So. I guess that's it.
Me: 'It'. Define 'it' for me.
Mum: Just it. You know. It.
Me: Um.
Mum: ...
Me: ...

You can understand the awkwardness. After that I went on Twitter with a "Whaaat" type message.

Anyway, according to Dad, they are going to discuss things later. Dad said he was fully expecting to be looking at rental properties tonight. Actually, he skipped dinner in slept in a sleeping bag last night... So I dunno what's going on. Mum's being overly nice, Dad looks confused, goddamn they don't even like each other what the hell. I don't know.

Drama is always interesting, I guess. It's really sad how nonchalant both my father and I are about this. Actually, so is my sister. When she heard what was going on, she actually said, word for word, "Oh, really? Let me do this thing first and then I'll disconnect from the Minecraft server, k?"

I am so proud of my little nerd sister

No comments:

Post a Comment