Jul 22, 2010

The Band I Will Always Return To

So the other day I met up with my closest, longest friend. Due to a lack of internet at the time, we ended up listening to music and talking. After showing her the awesomeness that is Death Cab for Cutie, we ended up on the subject of our favourite bands, namely the ones that we really, really hold dear to us. At one point she turned to me and said "The one band I'll always return to is Paramore. Nothing could change that."
Without missing a beat, I easily replied with "Yeah. That's how I feel about Radiohead."
And it's true. Radiohead was the first band I listened to that wasn't force-fed to me via the radio. Granted, I listened to the songs my parents played to me, but I didn't notice them all that much. Everyone liked what was on the radio, right? So it must be good.

Later on Habbo Hotel (embarrassingly enough), someone redirected me to Radiohead. I listened to Coldplay, so they suggested I listen to Radiohead's first albums, specifically The Bends and OK Computer.
Naturally, I didn't listen to them and instead downloaded the bands entire collection. I am so glad I did. These days I own all the albums, B-sides and currently have live versions of unreleased tracks. Because you can't have enough Radiohead. Thom Yorkes vocals amaze me. For some people, his vocals are probably a bit narm-ish. (Couldn't think of a better word, check the link if you need.) To me, however, I find them spectacular. He has an astonishing range and he sings with such emotion, which is something that seems to be lacking in 'mainstream' music. The first song to truly give me goosebumbs would be Street Spirit, obviously by Radiohead. And they continue to amaze me.

When I do have a strange lapse in musical judgment or just lose my way a little, I end up pointing myself back to Radiohead. It only takes one album to remind me how good it feels to listen to something that doesn't follow the standard 'verse, chorus, verse, chorus' format with the occasional bridge.

I don't know what brought on this sudden burst of enthusiasm for the band. I was just sitting here when the weight of my 'Radiohead is the band I'll always return to' realization sunk in.

I'm thinking about getting more of my friends into these guys. I'll probably start them with the Bends. They need to hear the awesomeness that is Thom's vocals and Jonny's epic guitar skills. Oh, and the Ondes Martenot. Can't forget that.

Just a few random things.
-Hail to the Thief is my favourite album.
-Idioteque is my favourite album track, whereas Talk Show Host is my favourite B-side.
-I consider Thom Yorke's solo effort, The Eraser, to pretty much be a Radiohead album. By the way, it is very awesome.
-My cousin and I get into Muse Vs Radiohead debates all the time. Despite this, I do like Muse, and my cousin does like Radiohead. We just don't agree on who's better.

I have never seen Radiohead live. I desperately want to, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment